Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Last month saw the release of Katy Perry’s latest album, 'Teenage Dream.' To the extreme shock and surprise of absolutely no-one, the album went straight in at Number One, with the first single released from the album, 'California Gurls' (her spelling, not mine) also hitting the top spot. Now far be it from me to take anything away from this success: Perry is a talented singer, adored by thousands of people worldwide. If album sales are what you’re after, then she’s definitely doing something right, and there’s nothing that a silly man sitting on a computer can do to change that.“So what’s she done wrong? Why bother writing at all?” I hear you not ask. Good question.

When Katy Perry stormed onto the pop scene in 2008, she was a mix of fifties-inspired fashion and pop-rock guitar hooks, with her moral compass twisted a little towards the cheeky side. She had kissed a girl, and we liked it: Her bubblegum-pink spirit was a hit with the younger listeners and the album was a smash hit on dance floors all across the country.

So naturally when I got my hands on her new album I was excited. My shaking hands readied the CD player: I whipped on my Miniskirt and got my life-sized cut out of Edward Cullen ready to serenade (worrying behaviour for a 22 year-old male perhaps?). With barely controllable anticipation I pressed play with my hairbrush/microphone at the ready, but something was a little different about the Katy I had grown to know and love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online